Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Bull .. Ebay could use a system of verified identy to allow people to post or bid. Just like Paypal tries to do when you open a verified account. Then everything is only between identified persons. An occasional compromised account may occur but nothing like it is now. Of course they have a responsiblity.
Further clarification for you -- I didn't say that eBay didn't have a responsibility...I said they weren't at fault for this one particular issue.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Gah! Sorry you're having such a nightmare selling the trailer...(mebee it don't wanna git sold!) People drive by the Ambassador all the time asking if it's for sale and for no apparent reason, I say 'no'. I would deal with the situation on a local level in the want/sell ads if you're getting scammers from Third World countries attacking you like mosquitos on a wildebeast in the middle of the veldt.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I have had that happen lots with people coming up to ask if my other trailers were for sale. I think that Argosy is a more limited market, and this one is heavy and long at 27 foot. I have had people hoping it was lighter/shorter. I am sure the right home for it will come along soon...it has only been for sale a few weeks. I will try the newspaper eventually.
The scammer mosquitos seemed to have slowed....I at least have really had my eyes opened to just how widespread the problem is.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #24
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I blame Ebay.
They do very little to protect anything other than their fee.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
2nd chance scam

hi- I guess there must be "boiler-rooms" all over Europe and Africa FULL of flunkies hacking into auction and for-sale and for-rent sites, sending out bogus offers to buy or sell. Just got one this week, a 2nd chance offer to buy a truck from about 30 miles away, except suddenly the return email address was something like ebay^member@ebay.co.uk- UK being United Kingdom I believe. And suddenly his name was Allen West, not Ross like when I talked to him on the phone. And suddenly he had moved, and the "car" was in storage, and I could only look at it If I paid him a $1,900 deposit to fly out and show it to me, blah blah blah. I screwed with him for a few emails, then got bored with the whole thing and told him to get a real job. I believe this is NOT the work of isolated thieves, that it is at the very least the work of organized crime, IF NOT organized terrorism. Pretty clever, really- first steal from those you hate, then use that money to sponsor who knows what kinds of terrorism both here and other places. Anyway- SCRUTINIZE all transactions on these websites, be skeptical, and lets cut off their flow of money. They are not hard to spot if you look at return addresses, slightly mis-spelled or punctuated web-site names, poor english syntax, strange excuses and demands, etc. Heads up!!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
Me too

I sold my Argosy on EBAY in mid March 2006 also. Within minutes of final sale I was contacted by peolpe who had been sent fraudulent EBAY 2nd Chance offers....

I also posted this issue on this form:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...aud-21387.html

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I just got another offer, this guy had good spelling, but he asked kindly if when I emailed him back to remind him which rv I was talking about....

I wrote him back I only sell to people who come to my house and pay CASH.

I agree, it is more like organized crime or something for these people to spend all their time trying to scam people.

I was amazed at how many bidders got the ebay second chance offers for dirt cheap on just my trailer. It is not even logical that someone would sell their rv to someone for way less than the bidding got up to on ebay. I am still debating putting it back on ebay or not because of the hassle. If I did put it on ebay, I would clarify IN the auction that I won't be sending any 2nd chance offers, so that would at least warn bidders.