Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
a larger 28 footer that could weigh 8000+ lbs loaded

Certified three-pad weight scale is your friend, and is basic homework. Look up the CAT Scale Locator and weigh the vehicles separately and together, empty (solo) and loaded for travel.

245F is too high, so question the "gauge" itself before committing to anything expensive (see SCANGAUGE).

On any auto trans I would prefer a downstream aftermarket stacked-plate cooler (B&W Racing; thermostatic bypass) with a filter also installed (the pan "filter" is little more than a screen).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yes...it will have an up-graded cooler with the towing package. KNP option code listed on the sticker on the inside of the glove box door.

Bob
Beautiful. I checked the codes - bingo! Thanks Robert. One of these days I think I will copy all the codes and look them all up to see what I actually own!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Beautiful. I checked the codes - bingo! Thanks Robert. One of these days I think I will copy all the codes and look them all up to see what I actually own!
RD

No problem...

You can ask your dealer to print out a GM VISS check for you to get the complete warranty service history, build sheet with all options.
You may even be able to get it online.

Vehicle Inquiry Service Summery

Bob
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
RD

No problem...

You can ask your dealer to print out a VISS check for you to get the complete warranty service history, build sheet with all options.
You may even be able to get it online.

Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
There are performance outfitters out there that add turbo's and supercharges to the 6.2 and have it turning out over 1000 HP so I don't think we are ever going to twist the block towing with one. All the 09's I have seen have had the 6 speed transmission. I did get confirmation that the 1/2 and 3/4 ton six speeds are identical.

Most of our customers with 6 speed transmissions have the 5.3 so there are no transmission heating issues at all. We traveled all through the hills in southern PA and northern west virgina this summer, my friend Blair tows his 34 with a 5.3 with the 6 speed and 3.08 gears, it was not as quick as the Mercedes diesel or the SHO but it certainly had no problem with the hills or temperature. Towing fuel economy has not changed much but he is picked up 5 MPG solo driving which is the majority of his use.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
There are performance outfitters out there that add turbo's and supercharges to the 6.2 and have it turning out over 1000 HP so I don't think we are ever going to twist the block towing with one. All the 09's I have seen have had the 6 speed transmission. I did get confirmation that the 1/2 and 3/4 ton six speeds are identical.

Most of our customers with 6 speed transmissions have the 5.3 so there are no transmission heating issues at all. We traveled all through the hills in southern PA and northern west virgina this summer, my friend Blair tows his 34 with a 5.3 with the 6 speed and 3.08 gears, it was not as quick as the Mercedes diesel or the SHO but it certainly had no problem with the hills or temperature. Towing fuel economy has not changed much but he is picked up 5 MPG solo driving which is the majority of his use.
OK, I guess the Brand Quality Manager for GM v8s is wrong. Never mind.
Unless the model identification number etched into the transmission case are IDENTICAL, they are not the same.

There are literally dozens of model/ID in each transmission SERIES designation (ie. 6L80E, 4T65E, etc....)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I fitted a B&M 70274 SuperCooler to our F250 - big difference in oil temps. I can recommend this unit, along w/ an Autometer full-sweep gage to keep track of the temp.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfour View Post
GM recommends that the maximum transmission-fluid temperature (measured in the sump) for short durations shall be no greater than 285 degrees F. At 300 degrees F, research shows, metal parts inside the transmission begin to warp and distort, seals begin to melt, and fluid life is extremely short because of heavy oxidation.
Those are asphalt paving temperatures by the way. Not so good for transmission fluid or parts.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up B&m

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I fitted a B&M 70274 SuperCooler to our F250 - big difference in oil temps. I can recommend this unit, along w/ an Autometer full-sweep gage to keep track of the temp.

- Bart
Very good unit..nice for us gyz up North too.... It won't "overcool" during the Winter month's. A feature not to be overlooked. T fluid must warm quickly.

Bob